Trefor Prest Sculpture

the process of making my sculpture

Month: January, 2015

Formless gloom

I’m struggling with this piece, it’s just not coming together in the way I thought it would.Most of them come to this point at some stage and I have learned to allow them to come out in their own way and not try to force things with my own preconceived ideas.

IMG_1534

These are the component parts I made for the “head”.

IMG_1556

 

And this is how I left it this evening, slowly emerging from the formless gloom.

Advertisements

Another way of forming

I have been banging on about moulds a bit lately, but forms can be developed without moulds. I have been doing this to make the hinged outer half skin for the current folly.

IMG_1463_2

First a piece of 2mm brass sheet is roughly cut to size and annealed by heating to red heat and allowing to cool.

IMG_1467_2

The first few hammer blows start to dish the metal into shape.

IMG_1429_2

Beating the brass over a dolly stretches the metal.

IMG_1444_2

Whilst beating into a negative form tends to shrink it , idealy using the wooden mallet on the bench.

IMG_1423

This is what you end up with, after hours of hammering and anealling a few more times, not to mention the sore fingers and aching hands.

IMG_1502_2IMG_1508_2

Here the hinges have been fabricated and fitted

Exit Mould

The new piece continues apace.

IMG_1391

Both sides have been bent around the mould and have been screwed together. The initial shaping has been started with grinders, air tools and files.

IMG_1399

This is the copper “sternum” cover which has been hammered and punched around the brass ribs.

IMG_1401

These are all the parts to date. The brass part with the two holes holds the two halves together, once the mould has gone.