Trefor Prest Sculpture

the process of making my sculpture

Category: non ferrous sculpture

Elemental

Work has been progressing steadily on the new piece. Now it is at the finishing off stage, where all the parts which have come together in a rough, aproximate way have to be made to fit proerly and their positions finalised. It’s also the time when the shortcomings become apparent, those areas that did not live up to the initial flush of excitement they started with.

But, I have given it my best shot and, even though it did not come out quite as I thought it might I am pleased with the result.

IMG_0074

This shot shows the two skins of the wing which has finally been welded together, prior to sanding

IMG_0015

Here I am bending the pipe from the inner element.

IMG_0086

And here is the finished element.

Advertisements

Flux

In the last post I thought I had some idea of the way this piece was going. It’s going somewhere else now, things have gone off in a new direction and instead of a pair of wings I am concentrating on one. Maybe the other one will also develop later and they will become twins. And maybe not.

IMG_0007_2

I began making this skeletal ghost wing to echo the wing itself. Brass bar was shaped and welded together: it’s still pretty rough at this stage.

IMG_0048_2

Here the two have come together with a knuckle, under my thumb.You will notice that the two halves of the copper wing have not yet been welded together. I will leave that until later, in case there are any changes to the wing itself.

IMG_0052_2

This is as far as I have got. The structure going down to the base is starting to come together but is still in flux, as indeed is everything else at this stage.

Starting somewhere

The next stage was the making of two “wings”. This is how they were made.

lathe

First a length of  3/4″ brass bar was tapered in the lathe, after a hole was drilled and tapped in the wide end.

bend

Then this bar was bent into shape with a lot of trial and error.(out of focus – sorry)

IMG_0041

The rest of the frame is fabricated, bent to shape, then welded together, again with a fair bit of trial and error.

outer

the outer skin I shaped without a mould this time, hammering it out then fitting it to the frame.

wings inner

This is the inside of the wings. They are both a little different , I try to avoid symmetry.

wings

And this is how I imagine it will shape up. Of course there is another element which I have not started yet and this will be the major part. Maybe I should have made that first. But you have to start somewhere.

Hopes and Material

IMG_0043

Here is the result of the last few days work in the shed. The photos below show how I made the two swivel pieces on the ends – The larger, central horseshoe piece was made in a similar way.

IMG_0005

Most of the work up to this stage has been done on the milling machine. I started with a block cut from a brass bar.

IMG_0007

The block has had a 1″ wide slot cut to accept the 1″ wide pin which will fit into it

IMG_0013

I have now drilled the block to accept the pivot pin attachment shaft. This is the sort of operation which would have been quite tricky for me in years gone by but with the mill a high degree of accuracy is possible.

IMG_0017

The outer shape of the part is produced on the lathe after shaping the cut away with a belt and disc sander.

IMG_0010

The pivot pin is turned from a length of 1″ bar which I have drilled for the attachment bar and right through the middle for the pin attachment screw.

new part

 

This is the assembled part. The one on the other side was made the same way.

The assembly I have made will I hope be the connection point for several elements in a sculpture which is developing. I have little more than a vague idea of how it might turn out, an aspiration rather than a plan. At this stage everything is up in the air and subject to the interaction between the hopes and the material.

The Minds Eye

This is how the three elements eventually came together

I had a struggle with the way the curved lower bar finishes on the base plate. It went through several stages, beginning on the left. Just another occasion where the things that seem so clear cut in the minds eye do not survive the translation into three dimensional reality.

Hose clips

This post covers the making of a part which will hopefully come together with the part in the last post. I am not quite sure how they will actually connect.

Here is the mould I am using for this part and the mould with copper beaten around it, secured with hose clips.

On the left nine pieces of brass rod have been bent to fit, clamped to half of the copper skin and welded together. At right a thinner piece of bar has been welded to one of the protruding rods and is gradually being bent into shape.

IMG_0049

Here’s how it looked at the end of the day, welded up and filed into shape. Both halves of the copper skin are attached, once again with hose clips. What would I do without them!

Short Days of Winter

Here is the product of the last little while spent playing around in the shed.

On the left is the mould which was cut from a slab of 1″(25mm) thick steel. It is quite a complex shape and required a horrific amount of grinding, building up with weld metal, then grinding back again.

In the middle I have shaped some copper around the underside of the mould and attached a brass frame.

That blob on the right is a sheet of copper which has been shaped around the upper surface of the mould.

IMG_0002

Below – The upper half of the copper skin has been attached and the edges of the two halves welded together and sanded smooth.

IMG_0007